Does Your College Student(s) Have Insurance Coverage When At School?

Carney Insurance Services

It’s time for college students to migrate back to school! Before leaving home, students should make sure they have adequate insurance coverage.

A typical student can bring a variety of personal items to college, including a TV, stereo equipment, laptop, microwave, and refrigerator. According to the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.), most families will be pleasantly surprised to know they already have some coverage for the property their students take with them to school.

Typically, the parents’ homeowners’ policy will cover property stolen away from home up to a limit of 10% of the contents coverage. For example, if the parents’ home is insured for $100,000, the contents coverage would be $50,000 so the coverage for a student away at college would be $5,000, minus the policy’s deductible.

The Home and Highway® policy, however, has no coverage restrictions in this situation as long as the student meets our definition of an “insured,” which includes: Click here for full article

Skip to content