Auto Coverage Gaps For Grown Children Who Don’t Live With You.

Parents often want to continue to help their grown children by providing them with a vehicle and/or insurance coverage even after that child has permanently moved out of the household and is no longer a dependent. While the intent is commendable, keeping an adult child and the vehicle he or she drives on your policy could be disastrous. West Bend’s senior underwriter Amy Justman explains why.

Under most personal auto policies, the definition of an “insured” includes “family members.” Family members are limited to “a person related to you by blood, marriage or adoption who is a resident of your household.”

Once adult children move out and are living on their own, they no longer meet “family member” status so they and their vehicles are no longer insured on your policy. While they would have coverage under your policy while driving your vehicles as permissive users, they should obtain their own insurance for their own vehicles once they’re living on their own. Click here for full article



Information Courtesy of West Bend

Skip to content